Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 92 total)
  • Author

These are the bottom pieces screwed into position. It was necessary to use three separate pieces because my Ash timber planks are 2 inches thick. I found  it was easier to deal with than a much thicker block of wood. When I am sure everything fits well I shall unscrew the whole assembly, and reassemble using plenty of waterproof glue/sealer. I find Tiger glue ideal and strong.

Rough cut A post timber

Photo of rough cut ‘A’ post timber.i can assure you all it will need alot of preparation to get it just right, but time and patience will get me there in the end. The originals were made in 2 pieces. A straight piece from bottom to to and a separate piece to accommodate the bulge created by the front mudguard which was originally screwed to the long upright. I couldn’t see any reason not to do the job with just one piece of wood. That is how I did the N/S.

I have been working on the P1  whenever I have been able to. I have now got the A post timber piece in place to my satisfaction and this evening have started to shape it. This will take at least three or four days. I have  already nearly cocked up the new timber piece up by starting to plane off wood from the wrong side of it. Fortunately I realised my mistake and there is plenty of spare wood to play with. Once the shape is right, I have to recess the post to accommodate the windscreen and to allow the aluminium shell to be wrapped back and tacked to the new wood. I may have to glue some additional steps to the old aluminium where there is too much corrosion,  but I think the old Allard aluminium will be OK. I have a bit of spare Allard aluminium should I require it. I will try modern special glue before resorting to welding as I want to preserve as much of the original paint as I can. Once again I shall be using liberal amounts of Tiger seal glue to hopefully keep damp and corrosion at bay. Photos to follow.

New piece in place

New piece of wood in place. Note there is plenty of wood that will need to be planed down into the shape I require

View from the side

View from the side. Note. There is alot of wood to come off yet. Problem is that all of a sudden it is all gone if one isn’t careful.

Ben Stevens
    Keymaster

A great progress update Dave. I’m very interested to see how you’re going to shape the corner where the aluminium wraps around the A pillar, in particular the recess for the edge of the door. I plan to use a small electric hand router to do mine, but like you am wary of mucking the whole thing up and having to either start again or glue more wood to it.

Ben. On my car there is a separate piece of section designed to fit over the A post corner from the top of the windscreen down to the bulkhead. Oddly I was fettling just that part of the A post this evening, and managed to achieve a good fit before I came home. Haven’t got a photo on the phone now, but will take  a photo tomorrow and send it tomorrow evening

Ben Stevens
    Keymaster

That would be great Dave thank you. So the side panel covering the A piller just needs to be flush with the woodwork then? Presumably the cover panel just slips underneath the side panel. Interesting. I’d love to see a picture of just the cover panel / separate section of ally too.

Peter Love
    Participant

You are doing well Dave – it looks good! Yours Peter Love

I have now bolted in the new A post. Staring with the bottom sections here are the photosBottom piece.

Same piece of wood picture taken from underneath the car.

Same piece showing fit from underneath the car

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 92 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.