Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

In 1986 my father in law bought an Allard P1 – EBA 666.

Sadly soon after some hooligans decided to fill the boot with newspaper and set fire to it, so the whole rear end of the car was destroyed.

In August 2020 he decided that it was time for the Allard to move on to a new home (me).

EBA 666 as it emerged from the barn

Anonymous
    Inactive

Can we have some current pictures please Ben

Ben Stevens
    Keymaster

A couple of old pictures of the interior.  I’ll upload loads more of progress very soon!  I want to keep the timeline accurate so you can see progress from the start to the finish.

interior

Ben Stevens
    Keymaster

Realising that a 5 inch windscreen / chopped roof and a 6 foot driver weren’t compatible I set about raising the roof.

The plywood “windscreen” is made from an original P1 screen

Ben Stevens
    Keymaster

I very quickly realised however that it needed a little more er… attention, in other areas so removed the roof entirely.

Most of the rest of the body work soon followed!

Ben Stevens
    Keymaster

…and then more was dismantled!!

At this stage I thought I could get away with treating / painting the chassis as it was, wire brushing and painting etc.

The 3rd picture here is where I’d kind of “done” the back end and was looking at how to fit the doors back on.  Oh the innocence of those early days!!

Ben Stevens
    Keymaster

I then realised it wasn’t quite so simple, because the B pillars, to which the door hinges were mounted, were set further inwards than a standard P type, which meant the rails on which the doors would now sit were in the wrong place and the doors wouldn’t fit.   Also the doors that came with the car had been adjusted, and swapping them out for original doors to give me the correct top profile meant they didn’t fit.

An original P1 door for comparison

a cut down door, note position of rear hinge edge

Ben Stevens
    Keymaster

Time to set about making some new doors….

An original door underneath my door

Ben Stevens
    Keymaster

The ones that came with the car didn’t have insides / winding windows either which I definitely wanted

Ben Stevens
    Keymaster

At this point I decided to go the whole hog, whip the engine out and just strip everything back to get the chassis sand blasted.  In for a pound n all that!  Fully committed now.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.