Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Ben Stevens
    Keymaster

What batteries do people tend to use? Mine are obviously knackered after 30yrs so want to get new ones.

I think John Aldridge said he has Mazda MX5 ones in his car, what do other people use and does anyone have tips / suggestions etc?

I’m guessing two is normal? Or just one?

Tim Wilson
    Participant

Thought my reply post had been submitted OK, Ben – but it seems this medium is getting a bit clunky… I attached a photo of my battery location and the system doesn’t appear to have taken it.

In a nutshell, it depends on the shape and dimensions of your battery box. From Halfords I got the biggest that would fit under the bonnet, just forward of the engine bulkhead – a single item, costing £92. Some folk take the opportunity to relocate the relatively heavy thing further back, to assist with weight distribution.

Tim.

Tim Wilson
    Participant

Battery

Ron Dowle
    Participant

I have two 12v. one under each seat. Works well

Tim Wilson
    Participant

Pics, please, Ron! ????

Ben Stevens
    Keymaster

What type of batteries are they Ron?  i.e. what car are they from? Or does it not really matter?

Ron Dowle
    Participant

Ben & Tim I will go out to the workshop this afternoon and take a few photos. After working out what size fitted my battery box I then went to my local Supplier and when through there stocks to find one that fitted ( not much room where my batteries are located) hence using 2 12V batteries

Michael Knapman
    Participant

Ben

Originally Allards were fitted with two 6 Volt Batteries connected in series to give 12 Volts, Although the starters are 6 Volts they seem to handle 12V OK.
    My recommendation is to fit two 12Volts and connect in parallel. Varta make a battery which fits the battery box. When the engine plays up you cannot have too much cranking power and two 12’s make jump starting much easier. Note. As well as the batteries being earthed the engine should also be earthed.

Ron Dowle
    Participant

Battery x2 locations

Ben. For many years I ran my P1 on two 6 volt batteries placed under the floor just in front of the front seats.  When I needed to replace them I bought two twelve volt batteries that would fit in the same battery boxes, which I connected in parallel.  These have lasted eight years and still work well. Just after I bought my K1 I had to fit a new battery. As I intended to use the car for competion, including the Berwick Classic Rally. I decided to use the passenger side battery box for essential tools and a small hydraulic Jack  so therfore fitted only one small twelve volt battery I wondered if it would be strong enough for the big V8 engine. That was in year 2000 and I am now on my second battery. It copes admirably although the K1 has got alternator charging. Dave

. .

Ben Stevens
    Keymaster

Have bought two 12v batteries and am going to mount them behind the front seats (I have no back seats any more) and will then use the battery boxes in the floor for storage.

Peter Love
    Participant

I always use 2 x 063 12v batteries they work very well average cost £42 each – Yours Peter Love

Tim Wilson
    Participant

I suppose it depends on what shape and dimensions make up the battery compartment, Ben. I’ve a big space just at the front of the engine bulkhead and l went to Halfords and got a biggish battery that fitted the space and doesn’t foul the bonnet above. £92.http://allardownersclub.org/wp-content/uploads/hm_bbpui/5414/dilrqri1754tfzqlwcfj2e25xii72d2f.jpg

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.